Hello there! It’s me, Natalie, here with another make using some of the lovely goodies available at The Little Paper Tree. Today’s card is a ‘congratulations’ card featuring two birds. It would make a lovely engagement or anniversary card, but would also be appropriate for other events such as a graduation or new job. If you’d like to have a go at this card, you’ll find the supply list beneath the following instructions.
- Using a paper trimmer, cut your black card to size – slightly smaller than the kraft card blank. Next, cut your mixed media paper to size – slightly smaller than the black card. If you like, you can round the corners with a corner rounder or scissors. Finally, cut a strip of mixed media paper the same length as the black card and wide enough to accommodate your stamp (about an inch).
- To create the blue-green background, you’re going to ‘dob’ the liquid watercolours onto the paper with a homemade ‘dobber. It’s really simple to make: scrunch up a couple of pieces of kitchen towel, place them inside a plastic sandwich bag, twist the bag to form a neck and tape around the neck with some sticky tape. You can then hold the neck and dob with the fat flat bottom.
- Place a few drops of the Sea Glass liquid watercolour on your pallete or craft mat. Dob the dobber in it and then dob the dobber all over mixed media card to create a blotchy effect. Give it a quick dry with a hairdryer or heat tool and then repeat with the Mint to Be and finally, the Sapphire. Beware: the Sapphire is a very intense colour. You might want to water down your drops before dobbing.
- Repeat step three with the strip of mixed media paper.
- Once the background paper has dried, you can add some sparkle. Down one side of the paper, use a pallet knife to push the Nuvo Glimmer Paste through the Tim Holtz stencil. Carefully peel the stencil up then set aside the background to dry.
- Using a clear embossing ink stamp pad and the WRMK Precision Press Stamping Tool, stamp the ‘congratulations’ sentiment onto the strip of prepared mixed media paper. Heat emboss it with copper embossing powder. Once the strip has cooled down, run around its edge with a permanent black marker to give it a border. Alternatively, mount it on a strip of black card.
- When the Glimmer Paste has fully dried, use your tape runner to build your card. Stick the black square onto the card blank, then the background onto the black square. Next stick the bird die-cut onto your background, overlapping the black card and card blank at the edges. Using foam tape for dimension, stick your sentiment strip on top of everything, lining up the edges with the edges of the black square.
- To embellish the card, draw some dashed lines around the outside of the background using the Glaze Pen which has a lovely shiny, 3D ink. Finally, add three Nuvo Glitter Drops to the sentiment strip.
And that’s it: a simple but effective make. Have you got any celebrations coming up that might benefit from a ‘congratulations’ card such as this?
Until next time … keeeeeeep crafting!
WANT TO FIND THESE PRODUCTS:
Avery Elle Sentimental Stamp Set
Avery Elle Liquid Watrcolours in Sea Glass, Mint to Be and Sapphire
Versamark Watermark Ink Pad
American Crafts Black Licorice
Tim Holtz Botanical Layers Idea-ology Die-Cuts
6” x6” Kraft Card Blank
EMBOSSING / MEDIUMS
Ranger Copper Embossing Powder
Nuvo Glitter Drops – White Blizzard
Sakura Gelly Roll Glaze Pen – Black
Black Permanent Marker
Tombow Xtreme Tape Runner
Ranger White Foam Tape
Fiskars A4 Paper Trimmer
Tim Holtz Mini Layering Stencil THMS031 from Set 4
Palette or Ranger Craft Mat
Homemade ‘Dobber’: kitchen towel, plastic sandwich bag, sticky tape