Hello, again! It’s me, Natalie, and I’m back with another card featuring Tim Holtz Botanical Layers Die Cuts, but instead of birds, this time it’s butterflies. I’ve seen a few fluttering around my garden, so Spring must be here at last. That’s what I’m telling myself! Anyway, on with the card. If you’d like to have a go at recreating it, all the supplies are listed at the bottom of this post.
- Cut a piece of watercolour card to approximately 10cm x 20cm and tape it down to a clipboard along all four sides. This will stop the card curling when it gets wet.
- From your set of Scribble Sticks, select the seven colours of the rainbow: ruby, tangerine, lemon, lime, sky, night and blackberry. Scribble each one onto a scrap piece of plastic. You don’t need much of each; just a 1” x 1” square should do.
- Using your water brush, pick up the ruby color and paint an arc toward the top of your watercolour card. While this is still wet, pick up the tangerine colour and create an arc below the ruby one. It doesn’t matter if they overlap – in fact it’ll probably look better if they do. Carry on down the rainbow until you have arcs of all seven colours. You can then give your rainbow a blast with a hairdryer or heat tool.
- To create a background, use your water brush to pick up a little of the sky colour and dob it above and below the rainbow.
- If you have any of your colours left, you can pick them up with your water brush and spatter them over the dry rainbow which will create an ethereal feel.
- Also, with a clean brush, wet a little of the Black Ash Embellishment Mousse and spatter this over the rainbow to create some depth and shimmer. Do the same with a little of the Mother of Pearl Embellishment Mousse.
- Once everything is dry, carefully remove your masking tape and use a trimmer to remove the white borders.
- Now it’s time to add your sentiment. Using an acrylic block or press tool, stamp the ‘go where your dreams take you’ stamp in embossing ink onto your rainbow, about a third of the way up the piece of card. Sprinkle on your silver embossing powder and set it with a heat tool.
- Next, using a trimmer, cut a piece of black card so that it is a little bigger than the rainbow piece.
- To add extra shimmer, and for something a little different, take a piece of paper towel, pick up some Mother of Pearl Embellishment Mousse and then burnish it over the black card around the edges.
- To assemble your card, first stick a strip of washi tape to the card blank, about one third of the way up, so it will sit behind the sentiment. Next, using a tape runner, stick the embellished black card to the card blank. Finally stick the rainbow card on top.
- Now, from the pack of die cuts, choose your butterflies and stick them to the card using 3D foam. Make sure they overlap the edges of the panel so they look as if they are flying off the card – going where their dreams take them!
- Lastly, add some Nuvo Drops and Crystal Glaze to add more dimension and even more sparkle. Leave this to dry flat for 24 hours.
And that’s all there is to it. I think this would make a great card to give to someone who’s starting a new adventure. What about you? Who would you give a card like this to?
Thanks for stopping by. And remember … keeeeeeeeep crafting!
Visible Image –Where Dreams Take You
Versamark Watermark Ink Pad
Bazzill Licorice Twist black card
Ranger watercolour card
EMBOSSING / MEDIUMS
Dina Wakely Scribble Sticks
Silver Embossing Powder
Nuvo Crystal Glaze
Tim Holtz Botanical Layers Idea-Ology Die Cuts
Freckled Fawn Washi Tape Triangle Doodle
Tombow Xtreme Tape Runner
Stix 2 Tape Runner
Scrapbook Adhesives 3D foam squares
Inkadinkado Masking Tape
Tonic Nuvo Aqua Flow waterbrush
Lawn Fawn Acrylic Block
Tim Holtz Stamp Platform
Fiskars A4 Trimmer
Tim Holtz Mini Snips
Piece of plastic to use as a pallet