Hello, again! It’s me, Natalie, back with a simple but fun rainbow birthday card. When Jeni and Janet set the design team the challenge of creating something on the theme of rainbows, I knew I’d have to make a card for a seven year old because there are seven colours in the rainbow, and I knew exactly what stamp set I wanted to use: Avery Elle’s Numbered Balloons. Imagine being a child again, opening a birthday present and having seven brightly coloured balloons float out – that’s the feel I wanted to capture with this card. If you’d like to have a go at making it, all the products are available from The Little Paper Tree and are listed below. Now, on with the instructions …
1. Trim your card pieces to size. The black square should be slightly smaller than the kraft card, and the white watercolour square should be slightly smaller than the black square.
2. Using a waterproof black fineliner, draw a horizontal line about an inch from the bottom of your watercolour square. Next, draw a box big enough to accommodate the ‘Happy Birthday to You’ stamp. Finally, draw two lines to represent the open lid of the box. I kept mine simple, but you can make your box as realistic or detailed as you like.
3. Using a WRMK Precision Press Stamping Tool, or an acrylic block, stamp the ‘Happy Birthday to You’ stamp in the box in Archival Jet Black ink.
4. Using a piece stamping mask, mask off the box, then stamp the number seven balloon seven times above the box with one or two emerging from the box. Use one distress ink for each balloon.
5. Stamp the balloons’ strings in Archival Jet Black ink. You may want to use the stamping mask again so that some of the strings appear to be behind some of the balloons.
6. To colour your box, press each the distress ink onto your pallet and use a waterbrush to pick them up and paint them on the box in a rainbow shape.
7. Use the leftover colours to paint the surface on which the box is sitting.
8. Once everything is dry, assemble your card using a tape runner.
9. Finally, add a little dimension by dotting Nuvo drops above the box so they look like confetti. You can also go over your balloons with a Wink of Stella brush pen so that they sparkle in the light.
And that’s it! Of course, this style of card isn’t just for seven year olds; you could create something similar with any of the numbered balloon stamps.
Thanks for stopping by! Happy crafting. xxx
WANT TO FIND THESE PRODUCTS:
Avery Elle Numbered Balloons Stamp Set
Ranger Archival Jet Black Ink
Ranger Tim Holtz Watercolour Card
Bazzill 5”x5” kraft card blank
Bazzill Licorice Twist black card
Tonic Nuvo Drops: Seabreeze Jewel, White Blizzard Glitter, Copper Penny Crystal
Wink of Stella Clear Glitter Brush Pen
Tonic Nuvo Aqua Flow Waterbrush
American Crafts Precision Pen
Waterproof Black Fineliner
Stix 2 Tape Runner
Tombow Xtreme Tape Runner
Lawn Fawn Acrylic Block
Inkadinkado Stamping Mask
Fiskars A4 Paper Trimmer
Tim Holtz Distress Storage Tin