One of my new year’s resolutions is to give myself more time to play with card designs so I can try out tricky, messy things without feeling pressed for time. Bring on the mixed media!
Stamping & Embossing
- Stamp and heat emboss the largest mandala. There’s something magic about watching embossing powder transform to shiny as it reaches just the right temperature. Make sure to heat from below as well as above to minimise warping.
- Repeat with the next size down mandala, using a stamping platform to get it aligned inside the first.
- Add a wash of watercolour over the top – while still wet, you can sprinkle this with normal table salt to get some interesting effects in the paint. This was my first attempt and I don’t think there was enough wet colour for the salt to interact with on mine, but you live and learn I’ll be trying this again another time!
- Flick a bit more of your wash colours over the image by tapping a loaded brush held above it. I aimed to get more yellow flicks over the green part of the wash and vice versa for contrast.
- Stamp your sentiment in the middle of the mandalas in silver ink.
- Experiment with different backgrounds outside the mandalas – I tried stamping more of the smaller mandalas off the edges of the card blank in silver, but made a bit of a mess so also took my silver ink pad straight to the card blank to sponge over the mandalas – or skip ahead to fussy cutting around the outside of the mandala as I ended up doing!
- Secure some twine to the back of the mandala, knotted at each end for added texture.
Finishing The Card
- Foam tape the mandala onto a card blank.
- Embellish with buttons and enamel dots – which can conveniently be positioned over any imperfections or smudges 😉
I hope you’ll be trying something new in 2019, even if it takes a few goes!
WANT TO FIND THESE SUPPLIES:
Concord and 9th Many Mandala Stamp and Coordinating Die
Versamark Embossing Ink
RangerEmbossing Powder – white
Neenah Solar White Card
28 Lilac Lane Embellishment Kits
Doodlebug Designs Blue Glitter Enamel Stickers
Lawn Fawn Trimmings Twine
3M Scotch Foam tape
Scor double-sided tape
TombowMono Multi Liquid Glue
Tim Holtz Stamping Platform
Tim Holtz Mini Snips Scissors
6×6 inch white card blank