Hello! Today I am sharing five card ideas using just one die – Birdie’s Branch by Catherine Pooler. And also ink blending with Catherine’s amazing inks. All the ink blending is on Bristol Smooth card, with premium 110lb white card and Raven black card for the card layers. The sentiments are heat embossed in Alabaster white embossing powder onto black card.
I hope you are inspired to use your dies for multiple cards and will try these ideas. Share your “Stretch Your Dies” cards with us at the Paper Tree Tribe – our friendly customer group on Facebook. The full product list is at the end of this post, with specific items linked within the written tutorial.
Like this video? Please give it a big thumbs up (you can do this on Youtube, right under the video) and share it with a crafty friend! Leave a comment too, we love hearing from you.
WHITE BRANCHES ON RAINBOW BACKGROUND – 4×9″
- First, ink blend with Limoncello, Be Mine, Cummerbund and In The Park ink
- Die-cut the Birdie’s Branch 3 times from the ink blended rainbow card, and 3 times from white card. (Keep all the inner leaf die cuts).
- Next, cover a piece of 3×8” scrap card with adhesive.
- Adhere the rainbow negative background pieces with the white branch positive die cuts.
- Then in-lay all the rainbow coloured inner leaf pieces to the correct areas.
- Trim to 3 3/4×8 3/4″ and adhere to 4×9” black card, then a card base.
- Finally, heat emboss the sentiment with Alabaster embossing powder, and foam mount to card.
RAINBOW BRANCH ON WHITE – 3.5×8.5″
The next card is super quick to make. Simply, adhere the rainbow Birdie’s Branch die cuts to a white slimline card panel with liquid glue. Add to a 3.5×8.5″ black card layer, then adhere to a slimline card base. The sentiment is also white heat embossed on black card, and foam mounted to the card.
WHITE DIMENSIONAL CARD – 4.25×5.5″
A clean and simple card with a pop of colour and a pop of dimension. Keep the positive of the Birdie’s Branch die cut and all the inner leaf die cuts to use later.
- From an A2 size white card, die cut the Birdie Branch die.
- On Bristol Smooth card (slightly smaller than A2) ink blend with Limoncello, Be Mine and Pixie Dust inks.
- Foam mount the white die cut card over this rainbow background.
- Next pop in the leafy die-cut (no adhesive).
- Foam mount each white inner leaf with tiny pieces of foam.
- Carefully remove the positive leaf die-cut.
- Heat emboss a sentiment and foam mount to the card. (A black heat embossed sentiment will also work on this card – just remember to stamp before you foam mount to the background)!
- To finish, adhere to a card base.
MINI SLIMLINE CARD – 3×6″
This is my first mini slimline card! The finished card size is 3×6” but I’ve seen other card makers that use different sizes (3.5×6”)
- Ink blend a soft subtle rainbow with Bellini, Garden Party, It’s A Boy and Pixie Dust inks.
- Next, die cut the Birdie’s Branch die from white card.
- Adhere the white negative pieces to scrap card.
- Then adhere the rainbow ink blended branch in the negative space, and finish with the white inner leaf pieces.
- Trim to 5 1/4×2 3/4″.
- Stamp the sentiment onto a banner strip of card.
- Foam mount both to a mini slimline card base.
USING LEFTOVERS – NO WASTE – 4.25×5.5″
The last card uses all the negative inner leaf die cuts for no waste! One of my favourite things about inlay die-cutting is being able to use all the pieces to make multiple cards and not have any or minimal waste.
- Ink blend with Cummerbund, In The Park and Limoncello.
- Liquid glue all the leftover white inner leaf die cuts on the rainbow background.
- Start in one bottom corner of the card and work up and out (but across the card).
- Rotate the leaves and mix the sizes for a random look.
- Trim off the excess ink blended card.
- Stamp a sentiment on a thin banner strip to fit along the length of A2 card size.
- Foam mount the background piece and sentiment banner to a white card base.
Find more inspiration by Jeni here at the Tutorial blog